Croton and Cats, or the Toxicity of Croton

Croton and Cats

Is the plant really dangerous to your cat? I’ll tell you right now.

What should you do in case if your cat has eaten croton?

Once I had a situation when my cat suddenly began to vomit. I thought it could be just vomiting because he vomits his hair rather often (as many cats like licking their hair and then they vomit it out). But then I noticed that my favorite croton was bitten. I bought it two years ago, and my croton grow was very successful. I knew that it is very toxic for cats and dogs so I began acting.

[All-in-One] Caring For Croton Houseplant - only for visitors


I gave my little pet a small piece of activated charcoal (you can also treat your animal with Furacilinum). But you should do this in case if your pet has eaten a small bit of croton. But if the flower was eaten fundamentally, it is better to irrigate the stomach of the cat or dog. And also it is strongly recommended to visit a vet.

So now you know that croton and cats are two incompatible things. No doubt that cats are extremely curious creatures. And an indoor plant is sort of connection with the outer world for them. So they will not be able to resist the temptation of chewing its leaves. So if you have a pet, you’d rather hide your croton in the distant place where your cat won't be able to find it. Don’t keep it around kitty. Take care of your pets and flowers!

Another question that was bothering me was whether the genus has any effect on humans. I thought that as it was toxic to animals, it could also harm people. And I was right. This broadleaf evergreen can be poisonous to people as well, especially children. Its broken stem emits a milky sap.

This sap is likely to cause contact dermatitis. Chewing its bark or roots leads to a burning sensation. Being ingested, the toxins that are contained in the species cause gastrointestinal problems. They are abdominal discomfort, vomiting, nausea, or diarrhea.

If you suspect poisoning, don’t panic. Even there are no adverse reaction shown, it doesn’t mean that everything is fine. It can happen so that symptoms do not appear for several days. So you are to seek medical assistance anyway.

Crotons are only one of many houseplants that can harm you and your pet. Instead of taking care of lilies (Lilium spp.) amaryllis (Amaryllis spp.), daffodils (Narcissus spp.), and jade (Crassula argentea), keep such plants as Dill (Anethum graveolens), parsley (Petroselinum spp.), mint (Mentha spp.), rosemary (Rosmarinus spp.), sage (Salvia spp.), lavender (Lavandula spp.), and thyme (Thymus spp.) They are safe enough.